Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hip-Hop 4 Cats


I’m a cat lover and artist. The majority of the time when I’m looking for inspiration to work on a project I listen to music. My tastes vary from urban to rock to classical and everything in between. Over the last few years I noticed that when I play some of my own tunes or Hip-Hop artists my cat Puppy gets really excited. Songs by Snoop Dogg, Biggie, Xzibit and other artist get him running around the house and playing.

From the scientific perspective I decided to test the theory to find out if he liked Hip-Hop. First I played music at lower decibel levels since cats hearing is hundreds of times better than humans. I wondered if the sound level had something to do with his reaction to the music. Playing the music at a lower level didn’t change his reaction, he still seemed to enjoy the tunes. Then I spent a week (in between working and going to school) playing different varieties of music to see if it had a similar response. It was important for me to know whether he was reactive to the music out of enjoyment or not.

My first choice of music was classical since it’s the other end of the sonic spectrum. I played Johan Brahms, Beethoven, Chopin, Tchaikovsky and Claude Debussy because I love “Claire de Lune.” While I enjoyed the tunes Puppy remained non-reactive, regardless of the volume level. Dance followed because it shared the same heavy bass as Hip-Hop, but has faster speed. Again he showed no interest. 

Next was rock. I played music from Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Slip Knot, Led Zepplin, Jimmy Hendrix, Stone Temple Pilots, Kings of Leon, Hole, Danzig, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Prodigy and various others. His reaction at low levels was non-reactive and at high levels he ran from the room and hid behind the television. Out of that list, when I played songs from Smashing Pumpkins at points he would meow. But he didn’t seem happy.

Chill-out music from artists Astrud Gilberto, Hope Sandoval, Kruder & Dorfmeister, and Bossa Nova only seemed to put him to sleep. Jazz had the same effect although when I played “Kind of Blue” by Miles Davis he stared at the speakers for awhile. After Jazz came and I was sure he would like some of the music by Bob Marley. I mean come on…it’s Bob! Puppy wasn’t feeling it. Bob Marley, Capleton, Bounty Killa, Red Rat, Beenie Man and numerous others all got the bored meow.

That was the moment when I decided I was humanizing the cat and the whole situation was in my mind. I had spent the better part of the week playing music for my cat who seemed more interested in his fake mice that anything coming out of the speakers. To wipe the whole bizarre experience out of my mind I put on the classic album “Capital Punishment” by Big Punisher. By the second track Puppy when banana’s! It was at that moment I realized…my cat likes Hip-Hop.



Since then I play allot more variety of Hip-Hop around the house just to see what he reacts to. Does your cat like music? If so what type? I would like to know if other pet owners have had a similar experience and if so to what types of music. Drop a comment or send me a message I would love hear from you.

Till then Be Well

Tha One an Only

No comments:

Post a Comment