Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Neo-Expressionism Art


Jean Michele Basquiat  (December 22, 1960 – August 12, 1988) was an artist in many genres including graffiti, music (DJ, punk band, mc) and fashion. He is also the first African American international superstar. He dated celebrities like Madonna and Blondie but was most famous for his Neo-Expressionist paintings. He died at age 27 from a heroine overdose.

I didn’t learn about Basquiat until the mid 90’s when the girl I was dating (who was a painting major) told me about him. I was impressed he made it into the art history books and checked out some of his work. He had a unique style that used multi-layers of color mixed with obscure phrases. I liked it instantly and although my art was developed independently I saw similarities in our styles. I posted a few pieces of his work below and if you want to know more about him click on his name or go to www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/basquiat

                                            Palms Springs Jump 


                                                             Two Crabs


                                                         In Italian 


                                                                   ErNok 


                                                           Onion Gum 


                                           Portrait of Jean Kallin



No comments:

Post a Comment